Teacher Preparation Quiz Answers
PhysTEC Newsletter: Volume 1, Spring 2008
- 1.1 million U.S. students took physics in 2005.
- 33% of U.S. high school seniors graduating in 2005 had taken a physics class.
- 28% of physics students took honors or advanced physics in 2005.
- U.S. schools hire around 1,200 new physics teachers each year.
- 31% of new teachers hired in 2005 had a physics or physics education degree.
- 5,373 physics bachelor’s degrees were granted in 2006.
- 4% (around 215) of these went into teaching immediately.
- The top reason these teachers cited for going into teaching was a former high school teacher (40%).
Facts 1-3, 5: American Institute of Physics Statistical Research Center’s
2005 Nationwide Survey of High School Physics Teachers, online at
Facts 4, 6-8: American Institute of Physics Statistical Research Center’s
Initial Career Paths of Physics Bachelor’s with a Focus on High School Teaching, online at